History

The Murray Bridge United Soccer Club originated from the Tailem Bend Soccer Club, which was established in 1956.

The first committee and team of the Tailem Bend Soccer Club consisted of South Australian Railway men playing friendly matches all over South Australia.
It had been successful in winning the S.A.R.I. Queens Birthday Soccer Carnival three times.

In 1959, it was made possible for the T.B.S.C. to join the South Australian Soccer Federation. The T.B.S.C. competed for three seasons in Third Division of the Soccer Federation, but through fierce competition was forced to return to playing friendly matches.

The Tailem Bend Soccer Club took the opportunity to join the South Australian Amateur Soccer League in 1968, competing in Division 2 originally. The early years were successful for the T.B.S.C., with Bobby Hunter winning the Division Two Best and Fairest in 1968 and 1969. The 1969 team also won the Chairmans Cup. Bobby last played in 1990, totaling 410 games, scoring 246 goals in a very impressive career. Bobby is second in our games played listing to Arthur Singer, who had achieved 423 games, scoring 30 goals.

The Lower Murray Soccer Association was incorporated in December 1974, drawing players and members from the Tailem Bend Soccer Club and the Murray Bridge area. In 1975, Brian Crawford was the Second Division Best and Fairest player. The Lower Murray Soccer Association was playing in Division 3 in 1983 and 1984, and players from this club were judged the Best and Fairest, with F. Buchan winning the 1993 award and J. Biello winning the 1984 award.

The Lower Murray Soccer Association Inc. had a name change near the end of 1984, becoming the present Murray Bridge United Soccer Club Inc. From this period, the club competed in the Third and Fourth Divisions, and later competed in Sunday Division 8, single team competition. The Division 8 team was relatively successful being Divisional Runner Up three times during the early 1990 s. During this period, M. McFee won the Leagues Best and Fairest Award for Sunday Division 8 in season 1991.

The current clubrooms located at Beatty Terrace, Murray Bridge were officially opened on 1st March 1987 by Club Life Member and Player Life Member Mr. John Clapton.

Season 1995 Murray Bridge entered the Saturday competition, with increasing player numbers allowing for the club to fill two teams. Recently, Andrew Beaven has won the League Best and Fairest, and been the Runner Up for the Saturday Third Division. The Club has been competing in the Saturday Competition to the present, with the addition of another team in the Sunday Competition.

The Clubs Committee continuing desire to expand the awareness of soccer in the Murray Bridge region, and developing Junior soccer within the region has resulted in increased player and team numbers. The club has a large junior contingent, affilated with the Adelaide Hills Junior Soccer Association.

The Club has a listing of 22 player life members, who have achieved 200 senior games for Murray Bridge United, with eight of these having played 300 or more games, including two playing over 400 games. The club also has had four players representing the state at various times early in the clubs history.

The club also has an Honorary Life Membership listing of twenty four members, which is awarded to club members for outstanding service to the club over a substantial period, minimum of ten years active service.

The current Murray Bridge United Soccer Logo has not altered since the club’s name was changed in 1994.